Roasted Beet and Apple Salad
By Eshun Mott
* PLUS Cook time: 1 hour
Photo: Maya Visnyea
The perfect combination of sweet and crunchy, serve this easy-to-prepare roasted beet and apple salad as a side, or even as a meal.
, such as romaine or little gem
, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place hazelnuts on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake for 8 min, or until lightly toasted. Set aside.
- Turn oven up to 425F. Place beets on a sheet of aluminum foil, drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil, then fold foil over top and pinch ends together to fully enclose. Bake for 50 min to 1 hr,or until tender when pierced with a fork. Let cool to room temperature.
- Trim stem end and rub skins from cooled beets. Cut into thin wedges and sprinkle with 1 tbsp vinegar. Set aside.
- Combine remaining 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar, shallot, honey, salt and pepper in a small bowl and whisk in remaining 5 tbsp olive oil.
- Combine lettuce, apples and parsley in a serving bowl; drizzle with dressing. Add sliced beets and sprinkle with toasted hazelnuts
Nutrition (per serving)
- 2 g,
- 11 g,
- 10 g,
- 3 g,
- 147 mg.
Originally published in the Today’s Parent October 2014 issue. Photo by Maya Visnyei.