Rice Crust Pizza
This gluten-free rice crust pizza is so good that it's actually worth cooking extra rice just so that you can make it.
- 3 cups cooked white rice , or brown rice
- 2 eggs , beaten
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 medium tomato , chopped (canned is fine)
- 1/4 tsp crumbled dried oregano
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce , (any old kind)
- 1 1/2 cups assorted toppings , – chopped green sweet pepper, chopped onion, diced pepperoni, sliced mushrooms, whatever
- Hand your young pizza-crazed child a spoon and have him stir together in a medium bowl the cooked rice, the beaten eggs and 1/2 cup (125 ml) of the shredded mozzarella cheese. Using a spatula or a pancake turner, spread the rice mixture evenly into a greased 12-inch (30 cm) pizza pan. (Not the kind with holes, please.) Bake at 400°F (200°C) for 5 minutes, or until set.
- Remove the rice crust from the oven and sprinkle with half of the remaining mozzarella. Stir the chopped tomato and the oregano into the spaghetti sauce, and spread over the cheese-topped crust. Sprinkle the toppings over the sauce, and cover with the rest of the shredded mozzarella. Isn’t it starting to look like a real pizza?
- Return the pan to the oven, and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and the bottom is slightly browned.