Originally published in the Today’s Parent May/June 2020 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
Refried bean tostadas with queso frescoBy Chatelaine
These quick and easy Mexican tostadas will become a weeknight dinner go-to. Let the kids help out by customizing their own toppings.
- 1 red bell pepper , halved and thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion , thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp canola oil , divided
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp Tex-Mex seasoning , (such as Club House)
- 540-mL can black beans , including liquid
- 8 small flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco , or feta
- 1 lime , cut into wedges (optional)
- Position rack in centre of oven, then preheat to 450F. Toss peppers and onion with 1 tbsp oil and salt on a large baking sheet. Roast, stirring halfway through, until golden, 12 to 13 min.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium. Add 1 tbsp oil, tomato paste and seasoning. Stir for 30 sec. Add beans and their liquid. Cook, stirring, until warmed through, about 8 min. Coarsely mash the beans in the pan using a non-metal potato masher. Transfer to a bowl.
- Brush both sides of each tortilla using remaining 1 tbsp oil. Rinse and wipe pan clean, then return to stovetop over medium. Fry tortillas until golden and toasted, 1 to 2 min per side.
- Top tostadas with refried beans and pepper mixture. Mix lettuce with cilantro and sprinkle over tostadas along with queso fresco. Squeeze lime wedge overtop.
Don’t want to fry your own tortillas? Check out the Mexican aisle in your grocery to see if they have ready-made tostadas available.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 17 g,
- 60 g,
- 18 g,
- 12 g,
- 1337 mg.