4 to 6 servings
Made from soybeans, tofu is rich in calcium and protein. It acts like a sponge to absorb different flavours and, in this recipe, it becomes infused with tomatoey- cheesy deliciousness, ensuring your kids will love it. Try serving this casserole with a simple green salad and steamed rice or crusty bread.
- 2 small eggplants , cut into 1-in. cubes
- 2 zucchini , cut into 1-in. cubes
- 1 red sweet pepper , cored and cut into 1-in. pieces
- 1 yellow sweet pepper , cored and cut into 1-in. pieces
- 1 red onion , peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 portobello mushrooms , stems removed, cut into 1-in. pieces
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- 1 350-g pkg extra-firm tofus , patted dry and cut into 1/2-in. cubes
- 1 796-mL can diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or foil. In a large bowl, combine eggplant, zucchini, pepper, red onion and mushrooms. Drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss gently to coat. Spread vegetables in an even layer on both baking sheets. Roast in oven for 20-25 minutes, until vegetables are soft and golden around the edges. Remove from oven and spread in bottom of a 9 x 13 in (3 L) baking dish. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F (190°C).
- While the vegetables are roasting, heat oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add tofu and fry gently until golden brown on all sides, about 7-9 minutes, adding more oil if tofu starts to stick. Stir in tomatoes and gently simmer until liquid has evaporated slightly, about 5 minutes. Add basil and a generous pinch of salt and pepper.
- Pour mixture over the vegetables and spread evenly. Sprinkle cheese overtop. Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes, until golden and bubbly at edges.
- In a serving: 404 calories, 20 g protein, 25 g fat, 31 g carbs, 7 g dietary fibre, 110 mg magnesium, 4 mg iron, 3 mg zinc