Recipe excerpt taken from Rainbow Food by Linda Louis, with permission from Firefly Books. Photo by Linda Louis.
Rainbow hasselback potatoesBy Today's Parent
When the potatoes are cooked, the slices open, creating an accordion effect that is as beautiful as it is delicious!
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 red-skinned potatoes
- 2 blue potatoes
- 2 yellow-skinned potatoes
- 2 very ripe tomatoes
- 2 ears of corn
- olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp oregano
- freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375oF (190oC). Brush the sweet potato and potatoes under running water.
- Using a very sharp knife, slice the potatoes along the width every 1⁄8 inch (3 mm). To keep the knife from slicing through the whole potato, place two chopsticks along each side, so the knife stops at the right place (the thickness of the chopsticks).
- Wash the potatoes to remove the starch, which would keep the slices stuck together as they cook. Slice the tomatoes.
- Arrange the vegetables by color in a large casserole dish (leave space for the corn, which you will add later. Add the garlic (without peeling it). Drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with oregano, salt and pepper. Add a little water to the bottom of the dish. Cover with a lid or aluminum foil.
- Bake for 40 minutes, basting from time to time (three times).
- Uncover, add the corn and baste it with a little cooking juice, and continue baking for 20 minutes, until the potatoes are lightly browned.
Since sweet potatoes cook more quickly than potatoes, you can choose one that is larger than the potatoes.