, such as Hellman's
, such as Ikea Sjörapport (optional)
, thinly sliced
, thinly sliced
, quartered lengthwise
- Combine quinoa with mayo and vinegar in a large bowl.
- To assemble rolls, lay out bamboo mat so the sticks are parallel to you. Place a piece of plastic wrap overtop. Lay one nori sheet, shiny side down, on plastic wrap. Spread 3/4 cup of quinoa mixture over sheet to the edges, leaving a 1-in. nori border at the top.
- Spoon 1 tbsp caviar (if using) in a horizontal line in centre of quinoa. Arrange a row of avocado slices over caviar, followed by peppers, cucumbers and carrots.
- Roll, lifting the bamboo edge closest to you up and over the filling in the centre. Gently squeeze the sushi and tuck the seaweed edge slightly into the filling to form a tight roll. Dab the top border with water, then continue rolling the sushi upward.
- Cut rolls into 8 slices and serve with soy sauce and pickled ginger, if desired.
- Combine1 cup rinsed quinoa with 6 cups water in a pot. Set over medium-high. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Gently boil until quinoa has sprouted, about 10 min for white quinoa. For tricoloured, red and black quinoa, cook an additional 5 to 7 min.
- Drain quinoa through a sieve and rinse with warm tap water. Use in recipe or transfer to a resealable container. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
- Makes 3 cups
If you would prefer not to roll sushi, you can serve this as a bowl. Cut nori sheets into thin strips, Divide quinoa mixture among four bowls, then top with nori, avocado, cucumbers,
carrots and pickled ginger. Drizzle soy sauce overtop.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 8 g,
- 42 g,
- 24 g,
- 9 g,
- 290 mg.
Originally published in the Today’s Parent January/February 2021 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.