Originally published in the Today’s Parent January/February 2021 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
Quinoa-stuffed peppersBy Chatelaine
This cozy and colourful dish is perfect for chilly winter nights and is packed with protein, iron and amino acids.
- 2 large red, orange or yellow bell peppers
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup chunky mild or medium salsa
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 398-mL can low-sodium black beans , drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 tsp Tex-Mex seasoning , such as Clubhouse
- 1 ripe avocado , thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Position rack in centre of oven, then preheat broiler.
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise. Remove seeds and membranes. Rub inside and outside of peppers with oil, then place cut-side down in an 8 x 8-in. baking dish. Broil, flipping halfway, until lightly charred and softened, 8 to 10 min. Remove dish from oven. Preheat oven to 400F.
- Stir salsa with quinoa, beans, corn and seasoning in a large bowl. Season with black pepper. Divide quinoa mixture among cavities of peppers.
- Bake until peppers are fork tender, 10 to 15 min.
- Serve peppers topped with avocado and cilantro. Serve with more salsa, if desired.
- Combine 1 cup rinsed quinoa with 6 cups water in a pot. Set over medium-high. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Gently boil until quinoa has sprouted, about 10 min for white quinoa. For tricoloured, red and black quinoa, cook an additional 5 to 7 min.
- Drain quinoa through a sieve and rinse with warm tap water. Use in recipe or transfer to a resealable container. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
- Makes 3 cups
Nutrition (per serving)
- 12 g,
- 49 g,
- 16 g,
- 16 g,
- 680 mg.