Originally published in the Today’s Parent July/August 2018 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
“Pulled” Sweet Potato TostadasBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
Get that pulled pork flavour with a fraction of the fat. Bonus: the kids will love helping out by spiralizing the potatoes.
- 8 7-in. flour tortillas
- 1/4 cup canola oil , divided
- 680 g spiralized sweet potato , (about 2 medium)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 3/4 tsp onion powder
- 3/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp barbecue sauce
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 2 cups coleslaw mix
- 1 jalapeno , thinly sliced (optional)
- chili powder , for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly brush both sides of tortillas with 1 tbsp oil and arrange on a large baking sheet. Bake, flipping halfway, until golden and crispy, about 15 min.
- Heat remaining 3 tbsp oil in a large frying pan over medium-high. Add sweet potato, paprika, onion powder, oregano and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sweet potato is golden-brown in some spots, 5 min. Spread evenly in pan and cook for another 1 min without stirring. Stir in barbecue sauce, then remove pan from heat.
- Stir mayo and lime juice in a medium bowl. Add coleslaw mix and toss to coat.
- Divide sweet potato mixture among tortillas and top with coleslaw mixture and jalapeno rings. Sprinkle with chili powder, if desired.
Spiralize your own sweet potatoes for this recipe, or look for spiralized sweet potatoes in the produce section of your grocery store. You can also coarsely grate 2 medium peeled sweet potatoes instead, and reduce the cooking time from 5 min to 3 min.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 7 g,
- 67 g,
- 23 g,
- 7 g,
- 802 mg.
- Excellent source of
- Vitamin a