Originally published in the Today’s Parent March 2014 issue.
Provençale Tomato SoupBy Eshun Mott
In this Provençale Tomato Soup, a classic winter favourite is refreshed with the addition of new herbs and spices. Serve with our cheesy toasts, too.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 2 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp dried herbes de Provence
- 1/8 tsp hot-pepper flakes
- pinch ground allspice
- 2 796-mL can whole tomatoes , mashed
- 4 cups sodium-free chicken broth
- 1 tsp grated orange rind
- pinch granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup 35% cream , optional
- 2 tbsp chopped basil
- tomato salsa , to serve
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium. Add onion and carrot and sauté for 4 min or until softened. Add garlic, herbes de Provence, chili flakes and allspice. Sauté for 1 min longer.
- Add tomatoes, chicken stock, orange rind, sugar and salt and bring to a boil. Cover pot, turn heat to low, and simmer for 20 min or until vegetables are soft and flavours have combined. Add cream (if using) and basil.
- Purée soup with a hand-held immersion blender (or let cool slightly before puréeing in batches in a blender).
Nutrition (per serving)
- 4 g,
- 18 g,
- 7 g,
- 3 g,
- 775 mg.