Portobello and Pesto “Cheeseburgers”
By Today's Parent
4 adult sized servings
* PLUS Cooking time: 10 minutes
This vegetarian "cheeseburger" recipe uses portobello mushrooms, cooked on the grill with cheese, for a hearty and healthy grilling option.
, or similar buns
- Cut stems off mushrooms to make level with the cap.
- Combine pesto with olive oil. Add a heaping tbsp of the pesto mixture on the inside of each mushroom cap.
- Season with salt and pepper, and top each with slice of cheese.
- Grill for 6 to 8 min, loosely tented with foil, or until mushrooms are juicy and tender, and cheese has melted.
- Open buns, add mushroom “burgers” and serve.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 11 g,
- 34 g,
- 11 g,
- 3 g,
- 489 mg.
Freeze fresh basil pesto in an ice-cube tray to make more portable.
You can use a spoon to scrape out the dark “gills” of a portobello mushroom to make it seem more meat-like to skeptical kids.