Orzo Pasta Salad with Grilled Confetti Vegetables and Feta
This vegetable-packed orzo pasta salad is vibrant, healthy, and delicious. Make it tonight!
- 3 cups orzo , or bow tie pasta
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp grated lemon zest
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 small zucchinis , sliced lengthwise into 1/2-in. thick strips
- 2 yellow sweet peppers , quartered
- 3 large ears of corn , husked and wrapped in tinfoil
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes , sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled feta
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/2 cup basil leaves , torn
- In a large pot, bring about 4 cups of salted water to a boil. Add orzo pasta and cook according to package directions, about 6-8 minutes, until al dente (firm to the bite). Drain and rinse under cold water. Let orzo sit in colander to drain well. Transfer to a large bowl and toss with about 2 tsp (5 ml) olive oil to prevent sticking. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, oregano, lemon juice, lemon peel, salt and pepper until well combined. Set aside.
- Preheat a barbeque or grill to medium-high heat. Brush zucchini strips and yellow pepper with a little olive oil. Place these, along with corn, on barbeque and grill for 4-5 minutes on each side until grill marks appear and vegetables are tender. Remove and set aside on a baking tray to cool. Once cool, cut the kernels off of the corn husks (there should be about 2 cups) and chop the zucchini and yellow peppers into 1/2-inch (1 cm) pieces.
- To the orzo pasta, add the zucchini, yellow pepper, corn, cherry tomatoes, feta and pine nuts. Drizzle over lemon vinaigrette and toss gently to combine. Garnish with torn basil leaves.
- In a hurry? Chop zucchini and yellow pepper into 1/2-inch dice. Place in large bowl along with cherry tomatoes and 1 cup corn (canned). Toss with 1 tbsp olive oil and season the vegetables with salt and pepper. Spread evenly onto a baking sheet. Bake until lightly browned, about 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside and let cool to room temperature and then toss with orzo salad as above.