Originally published in the Today’s Parent July/August 2018 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
One-Pan Vegetarian LasagnaBy Chatelaine
1 h 10 min
Cheesy, gooey lasagna is sure to satisfy your Meatless Monday (or Tuesday, or Wednesday). Packed with mushrooms and zucchini, it feels hearty and healthy.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion , finely chopped (2 cups)
- 227-g pkg sliced cremini mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/2 tsp hot pepper flakes , optional
- 2 large zucchinis , chopped into 1/2-in. pieces (3 3/4 cups)
- 650-mL jar tomato-basil pasta sauce
- 1 egg , beaten
- 454-g tub smooth ricotta
- 1 1/2 cups finely grated Parmesan , divided
- 350-g pkg fresh lasagna noodles , (6 sheets)
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- Heat oil in a large oven-safe frying pan over medium-high. Add onion and cook until almost soft, 3 min. Add mushrooms, garlic and pepper flakes, and cook until mushrooms are tender, 5 min. Stir in zucchini and pasta sauce. Add ½ cup water to jar, shake, and pour into pan. Reduce heat to medium, then gently boil until sauce is slightly reduced, 5 min. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Stir egg, ricotta and ½ cup Parmesan in a medium bowl.
- Spread 1½ cups sauce in bottom of frying pan. Cover with 2 lasagna noodles, cut to fit pan. Layer with 1½ cups sauce and half of ricotta mixture. Repeat layers, ending with sauce.
- Position rack in centre of oven, preheat broiler to high.
- Return pan with lasagna to stovetop and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until noodles are cooked through, 15 min. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup Parmesan and mozzarella.
- Broil in centre of oven until cheese is melted and browned, 2 to 3 min. Sprinkle with parsley and let stand 5 min before serving.
Cut any leftover lasagna sheets into 1/2 inch ribbons and freeze in a resealable zip-top bag. Add the noodles to your next batch of soup.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 20 g,
- 42 g,
- 16 g,
- 5 g,
- 448 mg.
- Excellent source of
- vitamin b12