New Potato and Corn Salad
This article has not been rated yet.
This potato and corn salad is a fresh take on the ol' classic.
- 1.5 kg small new potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cobs corn , (about 1 1/2 cups kernels)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt , or buttermilk
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 3 green onions , chopped (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch black pepper
- Have your child scrub the potatoes with a vegetable brush under running water. If they are very fresh, the skins will practically rub off. Cut off any bruises or funny spots. Cut the potatoes into 1 in. (2.5 cm) chunks or wedges (or just halve them if they’re tiny) and place in a steamer basket over boiling water. Cook, covered, until just tender (but not soft) – 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
- Meanwhile, husk the corn and boil for 3 to 5 minutes, until just done, but still crisp. Drain and let cool long enough to handle. Cut the kernels off the cob (not a kid job – sorry) and dump into a bowl with the potatoes.
- In a small bowl have your helpful assistant stir together the yogurt or buttermilk, mayonnaise and vinegar. Pour this mixture over the potatoes and corn, have your child give it a toss, then add the green onions (if you’re using them), salt and pepper and stir until everything is evenly mixed.