Lovely Lentils with Brown Rice
2 to 4 servings
This hearty and healthy lentils with brown rice recipe will fill up happy little bellies.
- 1 small onion , finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots , chopped
- 2 stalks celery , chopped
- dash olive oil
- 1/3 cup dried red lentils , rinsed
- 1/3 cup short-grain brown rice
- 1 medium sweet potato , peeled and chopped
- 2 cups water
- Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan or bowl of an electric rice cooker. Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until the rice is cooked and carrots are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer to bowl. Using an immersion blender (see Safe Prep Tips, right), purée to desired consistency, adding more water to thin if necessary (you can skip this for adult and toddler diners).
- To store, spoon puréed mixture into 2 ice cube trays and freeze. Once frozen, transfer cubes to a labelled freezer bag or storage container.
- In 1 cube: 29 calories, 1.1 g protein, 0.1 g fat, 6.0 g carbohydrates, 0.9 g dietary fibre, 17 mcg folate