Originally published in the Today’s Parent November/December 2019 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
Loaded potato and bean soupBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
Soup's on! This hearty potato and bean soup is budget-friendly and loaded with flavour. It's the perfect fix for those cold winter evenings.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 large onion , finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 russet potato , peeled and cut in 1/2-in cubes
- 1 398-mL can cannellini beans , drained and rinsed
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 green onion , finely chopped
- 2 tbsp finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes , in oil
- Melt butter in a large pot set over medium heat. Add onion and garlic.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 4 min. Stir in potatoes, beans, broth, salt and 2 cups water. Season with pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until potatoes are tender when pressed with a fork, about 13 to 15 min.
- Purée soup using an immersion blender until smooth, or transfer in batches to a blender and whirl until smooth. Divide among bowls. Top with cheddar, green onion and sun-dried tomatoes.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 11 g,
- 40 g,
- 9 g,
- 7 g,
- 1102 mg.
- Good source of
- vitamin b6