Originally published in the Today’s Parent May 2016 issue. Photo by Roberto Caruso.
Kale PestoBy Chatelaine
A bright green pesto with frozen edamame for a quick and easy protein boost, this fresh sauce comes together in 25 minutes!
- 4 cups chopped kale leaves
- 450 g fusilli bucati corti , or fusilli
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup frozen shelled edamame , thawed
- 1/4 cup pine nuts , toasted
- 1 garlic clove
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Boil a large pot of water. Chop kale into smaller pieces, then add to boiling water. Cook for 30 sec. Scoop out with a slotted spoon and transfer to a strainer; rinse well under cold water. Drain well.
- Add pasta to boiling water and cook, following package directions but omitting salt, until tender, 10 to 12 min.
- Whirl kale with Parmesan, edamame, pine nuts, garlic and salt in a food processor until finely chopped. Season with fresh pepper. With motor running, slowly add oil, stopping to scrape down side of bowl.
- Drain pasta, reserving 1/3 cup pasta water. Return pasta to pot. Stir pesto into pasta until coated. If sauce is dry, gradually add pasta water until creamy. Top with more grated Parmesan, if desired.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 28 g,
- 94 g,
- 33 g,
- 6 g,
- 750 mg.