Japanese Noodle Salad
This Japanese noodle salad is a great make-ahead lunch. Take it to school or work in a thermos, hot or cold.
- 1 200-g pkg fresh udon noodles , or 1 2/3 cups cooked whole wheat pasta
- 1/2 red sweet pepper , sliced thinly
- 1 carrot , cut into matchsticks
- 10 snow peas , trimmed and strings removed, sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp tamari , or soy sauce, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil , or canola oil
- 2 tsp seasoned rice vinegar
- sprinkle sesame seeds , (optional)
- Soak udon noodles, if using, in boiling water for just 30 seconds to loosen. Drain water completely.
- While noodles are still hot, add remaining ingredients and toss to combine. Taste and add more tamari or soy sauce if desired.
- Makes 21⁄2 cups (625 mL).
- In a serving (3⁄4 cup/175 mL): 174 calories, 5.3 g protein, 4.8 g fat, 28.4 g carbohydrates, 2.0 g dietary fibre