Italian Panzanella with Beans
Panzanella is a hearty salad using fresh vegetables and toasted bread that your family will love.
- 4 cups cubed crustless ciabatta , (1-in. pieces)
- 1/3 cup olive oil , divided
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 540 mL can white kidney beans , drained and rinsed well (preferably sodium free)
- 2 cups diced tomatoes , (1-in. pieces)
- 1/2 English cucumber , cut into 1-in. pieces
- 1 yellow sweet pepper , cut into 1-in. pieces
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup torn basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Toss bread with 1 tbsp olive oil and spread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast bread for 15 min or until golden. Set aside to cool.
- Combine remaining 5 tbsp olive oil with vinegar, mustard, garlic, salt, sugar and pepper, and whisk until uniform. Add beans and toss to coat. Set aside.
- Mix together tomato, cucumber, pepper and onion in a bowl. Add beans and dressing and toss to coat. Add reserved toasted bread and basil leaves and toss to combine. Serve.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 13 g,
- 43 g,
- 19 g,
- 14 g,
- 489 mg.