Originally published in the Today’s Parent July/August 2020 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
Halloumi and veggie skewers on Israeli couscousBy Chatelaine
This squeaky, salty cheese will give your vegetable skewers some extra punch. Don't have Israeli couscous? Swap in regular couscous or your favourite grain.
- 8 long wooden skewers
- 6 1/2 tbsp olive oil , divided
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 zucchini , cut into 1/2-in. semi-circles
- 1 bell pepper , cut into 1-in. pieces
- 1 227-g pkg small button mushrooms
- 1 small red onion , finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups Israeli or pearl couscous
- 1 250-g pkg halloumi , cut into 1-in. cubes
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped mint
- Soak skewers for 20 min. Preheat barbecue to medium. Whisk 6 tbsp oil with zest, lemon juice, honey and salt in a large bowl. Season with pepper. Add zucchini, bell pepper and mushrooms.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining ½ tbsp oil in a medium saucepan. Add onion and cook until softened, about 3 min. Stir in broth and couscous. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, covered, until just tender, 7 to 8 min.
- Thread halloumi and vegetables onto skewers. Reserve marinade for serving. Oil grill and cook, turning occasionally, until halloumi is golden brown, 12 to 13 min.
- Serve skewers over couscous, drizzled with marinade and a sprinkle of mint.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 30 g,
- 86 g,
- 37 g,
- 6 g,
- 1460 mg.