Originally published in the Today’s Parent July/August 2020 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
Grilled tofu banh mi burgerBy Chatelaine
Give your next veggie burger a banh mi twist with pickled vegetables, cilantro and spicy mayo.
- 4 burger or ciabatta buns , halved
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp sriracha , (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 350-g pkg extra-firm tofu , drained
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp finely grated ginger
- 1 cup carrot , cut into matchsticks
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 baby cucumber , thinly sliced
- Cut tofu crosswise, then lengthwise, to make 4 burger-size squares. Using a skewer, poke holes in the tofu, then pat dry with paper towels. Stir soy sauce, honey and ginger in a shallow dish and turn each square of tofu to coat. Set aside.
- Bring carrots, vinegar, sugar and salt to a boil in a small saucepan, then remove from heat. Stir in cucumbers. Set aside.
- Preheat barbecue to medium. Oil grill and barbecue tofu, reserving marinade, until grill marks form, 2 to 3 min per side. Return tofu to dish and turn each square to coat. Lightly toast buns on grill.
- Assemble burgers with tofu, mayo, sriracha (if desired), pickled vegetables and cilantro. Drizzle burgers with remaining marinade for extra flavour.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 15 g,
- 35 g,
- 17 g,
- 3 g,
- 770 mg.