Originally published in the Today’s Parent May/June 2020 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
Grilled eggplant on coconut riceBy Chatelaine
Make eggplant the star of your next weeknight dinner with this tasty grilled recipe with creamy and fragrant coconut rice.
- 5 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp mild curry powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 4 baby eggplants , (about 650 g each)
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 2 tsp lime juice , remaining lime cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro , (optional)
- 400-mL can coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- In a medium sauce pan, combine coconut milk and 1 3/4 cups water and bring to a boil. Stir in rice, then reduce to low and simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed, 12 to 15 min.
- Stir soy sauce with oil, curry powder, onion powder, garlic powder and allspice in a large shallow dish. Slice eggplants lengthwise into 1/4-in. slices and dip each slice into the marinade. Set aside.
- Heat barbecue to medium. Arrange eggplant slices on an oiled grill. Barbecue until eggplant slices are tender and grill marks form, 1 to 2 min per side.
- Meanwhile, pour remaining marinade into a small saucepan set over medium-high. Stir in honey, thyme and lime juice. Boil, stirring, for 1 min.
- Stir cilantro into coconut rice. Serve eggplant slices over scoop of rice. Top with sauce, cilantro and lime, if desired.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 10 g,
- 83 g,
- 32 g,
- 6 g,
- 767 mg.