Originally published in the October 2012 issue. Photo by Ryan Szulc.
Fresh Herb and Ricotta Stuffed Shells
1 h 5 min
What's more satisfying than a tray of bubbling hot, cheese-stuffed shells? We can't think of much.
- 1 8.8 oz box jumbo pasta shells
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz white mushrooms , chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 2 cups ricotta
- 1 large egg , beaten
- 3 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp chopped basil
- 1/4 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 cup store-bought tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook pasta in boiling salted water for 8 min or until al dente. Drain, toss with 1 tbsp oil (to keep shells from sticking together) and pour out on a baking sheet. Reserve.
- Heat remaining 2 tbsp oil in a skillet over high. Add mushrooms and cook for 2 min or until juicy. Add garlic and sauté for 1 min longer. Remove from heat. Reserve.
- Combine ricotta, egg, parsley, basil, lemon zest, Parmesan, salt and pepper in a bowl and stir until mixed. Add reserved mushroom mixture and stir to combine. Divide filling between 30 shells. Spread 1 cup of tomato sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 13-in. casserole dish. Place stuffed shells in dish in neat rows. Spoon remaining ½ cup sauce over shells and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 35 min or until sauce is bubbling and cheese is melted.
Freeze assembled but unbaked in casserole. Defrost fully and bake at 350°F for 35 min before serving.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 22 g,
- 35 g,
- 24 g,
- 3 g,
- 802 mg.