French Toast Finger Sandwiches
By Eshun Mott
* PLUS Cooking time: 10 minutes
Photo: Maya Visnyei
Winnipeg mom Opal Arndt often makes this creative breakfast for her family. Jam adds instant flavour and easily holds the layers of soft bread together in her quick and simple version of stuffed French toast.
, (Texas toast or egg bread is ideal)
, or apricot jam
, plus more as needed
- Make 4 sandwiches using the 8 slices of bread, and about 1 1/2 tbsp jam for each. Spread jam right to the edges, then cut each sandwich into 3 strips.
- Beat together the eggs, milk, lemon rind and a pinch of salt. Dip each sandwich strip into the egg mixture to coat.
- Melt 1 tbsp of butter in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Working in batches, and adding more butter as needed, fry strips for 2 min per side or until golden.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar, or serve with maple syrup for dipping.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 15 g,
- 66 g,
- 15 g,
- 2 g,
- 553 mg.
See how this sweet breakfast dish comes together with our how-to video:
Originally published in the Today’s Parent April 2014 issue.