Originally published in the June 2012 issue. Photo by John Cullen.
Falafel Focaccia SandwichBy Dale MacKay
This article has not been rated yet.
Take your homemade falafel out of the wrap and onto a bun (or focaccia bread) with this easy homemade patty from Top Chef Dale MacKay.
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp fresh mint , chopped
- ¼ cup red onion , roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh parsely , (just the leaves)
- 1 540-mL can chickpeas
- ½ cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 loaf focaccia bread
- 4 leaves romaine lettuce
- 12 thin slices cucumber
- In a small bowl, combine yogurt, mint and 1⁄4 tsp each salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Place chopped red onion, garlic and parsley in the bowl of a food processor and chop finely. Drain and rinse chick- peas; add to the food processor along with bread crumbs, coriander, cumin, baking powder, 1⁄2 tsp salt and cayenne. Pulse until a coarse mixture forms. Divide and shape into 4 balls. Flatten each to 3⁄4 in. thickness.
- Heat oil in a nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Add patties and cook 3 to 4 min per side, or until golden, turning carefully with 2 spatulas (the falafel patties will be fragile).
- Cut focaccia bread into 4 squares slightly larger than each patty, then cut each piece in half horizontally. Place lettuce on bottom halves. Top with a falafel patty, a dollop of the yogurt mixture and cucumber slices, then the remaining focaccia.
Not into focaccia? Tuck patties inside whole wheat hamburger buns or your favourite bread.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 11 g,
- 59 g,
- 7 g,
- 8 g,