This article has not been rated yet.
You may leave out any of the 8 vegetables in this recipe, just make up for it with something else to keep the total volume the same (and, of course, adjust the name of the dish).
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups small mushrooms , whole but stems trimmed (about 250 g)
- 1 1/2 cups baby carrots , (about 250 g)
- 3 garlic cloves , chopped
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup pearl onions , peeled (about 125 g)
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup parsley , chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 large red sweet pepper , cut in strips
- 1 small zucchini , cut into 1/2-in. chunks
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1 540-mL can chickpeas , drained
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat, and saute the mushrooms, carrots and garlic for 1 minute. Add the broth and cook over fairly high heat for about 5 minutes – until the liquid has been reduced to about half.
- Add the onions, water, tomato paste, parsley and salt. Cook, stirring frequently, over high heat until the onions are tender – 5 to 7 minutes. Now toss in the red pepper strips, zucchini, broccoli and cauliflower and cook, stirring, for another 5 to 7 minutes, until all the vegetables are tender but still slightly crisp. Finally, dump in the chickpeas and cook only long enough to heat through.
- Serve with rice or mashed potatoes, or bake into a veggie pot pie (see below).
- Veggie Pot Pie: What a concept! After the stew has finished cooking, turn it into an ovenproof baking dish and top with a layer of unbaked biscuits (homemade or refrigerated ones from a can). Bake at 375°F (190°C) for about 20 minutes until the biscuits are browned. Lovely.