Originally published in the Today’s Parent May/June 2020 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
Veggie noodle Pad ThaiBy Chatelaine
A veggie packed version of your favourite street food.
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup natural peanut butter
- 1 tbsp sriracha , (optional)
- 210-g pkg smoked tofu
- 3 tsp canola oil , divided
- 4 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 2 340-g pkgs spiralized zucchini noodles
- 2 cups matchstick carrots
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts , chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup Thai basil leaves , (optional)
- Whisk hoisin sauce with lime juice, peanut butter and sriracha (if desired) in a medium bowl. Set aside. Pat tofu dry with paper towels, then cut crosswise into 1/4-in.-thin slices. Heat a very large frying pan or grill pan over medium. Add 2 tsp oil, then tofu. Cook until golden, 2 to 3 min per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Add remaining 1 tsp oil to a pan, then garlic and ginger. Stir for 30 sec. Add zucchini noodles and carrots. Cook, stirring, until vegetables are just tender, 2 to 3 min. Stir in reserved sauce to coat vegetables. Divide among plates. Top with tofu, bean sprouts, cilantro and peanuts, if using. Squeeze more lime juice overtop, if desired, and finish with Thai basil leaves.
If you own a spiralizer, make your own zucchini noodles using two large zucchinis.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 18 g,
- 27 g,
- 20 g,
- 6 g,
- 529 mg.