Originally published in the Today’s Parent September/October 2018 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
Easy Black Bean BurritosBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
Want to get an A+ on school lunch? Roll last night's dinner up in a tortilla and you're done.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup onion , chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic , chopped
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 3 cups cooked black beans
- 1 cup water , or reserved bean cooking liqiud
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 small tortillas
- 8 lettuce leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato , or fresh salsa
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- cilantro leaves , (optional)
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 4 min or until soft and lightly golden. Add garlic and chili powder, and sauté for 1 min longer. Add beans and water, and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 2 min or until flavours have come together.
- Use a potato masher to mash beans into a coarse paste and thin with extra water, as needed. Season with salt. Lay a lettuce leaf on a tortilla and spoon heaping ¼ cup beans on top. Add 1 tbsp tomato, some grated cheese and cilantro, and roll up.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 25 g,
- 73 g,
- 21 g,
- 18 g,
- 864 mg.
- Excellent source of