Originally published in the Today’s Parent April 2014 issue.
Double-Duty Homemade PuddingBy Eshun Mott
6 adult servings
One recipe is the base for two flavours at this self-serve pudding-parfait bar. Line up the toppings and let your kids make their own sweet creations, inspired by reader Melissa Debren of Milton, Ont.
- 5 cups milk , divided
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 4 oz finely chopped dark chocolate
- sliced bananas
- crumbled cookies
- chocolate shavings
- animal crackers
- Bring 4 cups of milk to a boil in a large pot. Remove from heat.
- Whisk together eggs, egg yolks and remaining 1 cup of milk until uniform.
- Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in a large bowl, and whisk in egg mixture. Slowly add hot milk, stirring constantly.
- Return mixture to pot over medium heat and cook, while continuing to whisk, for 3 to 4 min or until it has boiled and thickened. Add vanilla.
- Divide pudding equally into 2 bowls, pouring through a strainer to remove any lumps.
- Add chocolate to one bowl and let stand 2 min to melt. Stir to incorporate. Press plastic wrap onto the surface of both mixtures to prevent skins from forming. Refrigerate until cold. Serve pudding buffet-style with bananas, cookies, chocolate shavings and animal crackers.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 11 g,
- 60 g,
- 15 g,
- 2 g,
- 313 mg.