Couscous with Chickpeas and Vegetables
We like to serve this vegetarian couscous with chickpeas and vegetables as a main dish with a salad, but you could add some sliced grilled chicken too.
- 1 tbsp olive oil , or vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes , with liquid
- 1 cup canned chickpeas , drained
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 cup frozen or canned corn kernels
- 1 tbsp chopped basil , (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 cup vegetable broth , or chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the onion is softened and beginning to brown. Add the tomatoes, chickpeas, green peas, corn, basil and parsley and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.
- Add the broth, increase the heat to high and bring the mixture to a full boil. Stir in the couscous, salt and pepper, cover and turn off the heat. Let sit for 5 minutes. The couscous will absorb the liquid and become tender without any further cooking.
- Fluff with a fork and serve immediately.