Couscous Chickpea Salad
This article has not been rated yet.
This couscous chickpea salad is substantial enough to be a main dish, light enough to enjoy on a hot day. You can add some diced cooked chicken to this, but it stands up well enough just the way it is.
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked couscous
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups 1/4-in. half-rounds green or yellow zucchini , (about 2 small or medium)
- 1 medium red sweet pepper , diced
- 1 540-mL can chickpeas , or mixed beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 small red onion , chopped
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 to 2 tsp curry powder , (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Measure the couscous into a medium-sized bowl. Add the boiling water, stir just to mix, then cover with a plate or saucepan lid, and let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the sliced zucchini, red pepper, chickpeas and onion. In a small bowl, stir together the yogurt, mayonnaise, curry powder and salt.
- When the couscous has absorbed all the water, fluff it with a fork to separate the granules. They should be tender but not mushy or stuck together. Add to the vegetables in the bowl and toss gently to mix. Stir in the yogurt mixture – add ½ of the mixture at a time (you may not want to use all the dressing).
- Mix well, then cover with plastic wrap (or transfer to a covered container), and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until ready to serve.