Originally published in our September 2012 issue. Photo by Jodi Pudge.
Confetti Rice Stuffed PeppersBy Eshun Mott
Dig into these roasted red peppers. They're stuffed with rice, veggies and lots of cheese.
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 4 red bell peppers , cut in half through the stem, seeds discarded
- 1 ½ tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1 cup finely chopped celery stalk
- 1 ½ tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 ½ tsp ground fennel seed
- 2 cups packed baby spinach
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 ½ cups grated white cheddar cheese , divided
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Rinse rice until water runs clear. Drain well. Place rice in a large pot with 3 3⁄4 cups cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat, cover pot and turn heat to low. Cook for 15 min or until water is absorbed and rice is tender. Remove from heat and let stand 5 min to steam, then spread out on a baking sheet to cool.
- Place peppers cut-side down on a foil-lined baking sheet and roast for 10 min or until they are slightly softened. Flip cut-side up and let cool slightly. Turn down oven to 350F.
- Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over medium- high. Add onion, carrot and celery and sauté for
8 min or until vegetables are softened. Add garlic and sauté for 1 min longer. Add fennel seed to pan and sauté for 1 min or until fragrant. Add spinach and stir for 1 min or until beginning to wilt. Add cooked rice to pan, stirring to break up lumps. Stir in oregano, parsley and all but 1/4 cup cheddar cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon rice mixture into the cavity of the peppers, sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake for 30 min or until top of rice is lightly golden and pepper is cooked. Serve with a green salad.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 17 g,
- 55 g,
- 20 g,
- 5 g,
- 896 mg.