Originally published in the Today’s Parent May/June 2020 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
Butternut squash pizzaBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
Butternut squash lovers rejoice! This decadent slice is creamy, crunchy and packed with veggie goodness.
- 750-g pkg frozen butternut squash , thawed
- 5 tsp canola oil , divided
- 4 garlic cloves
- 156-mL can tomato paste
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3/4 tsp sweet paprika , divided
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 small red onion , thinly sliced
- 170 g broccolini , cut into thin strips
- 2 store-bought thin pizza crusts
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 1/2 tsp hot pepper flakes , (optional
- Reserve 2 cups butternut squash in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add 2 tsp oil, remaining butternut squash, garlic, tomato paste, broth and 1/2 tsp paprika. Cook, stirring often, until thickened, 10 to 12 min. Transfer mixture to a blender and blend until smooth. This will make about 2 cups of sauce.
- Add 2 tsp oil to same pan, then onion and broccolini. Cook until Broccolini is tender-crisp, 3 to 4 min. Transfer to a bowl. Add remaining 1 tsp oil to pan, then reserved squash, salt and remaining 1/4 tsp paprika. Cook, stirring occasionally, until just warmed through, 1 to 2 min.
- Position rack in centre of oven, then preheat to broil. Arrange pizza crusts on baking sheets and spread about 1 cup sauce over each crust, then top with onion, broccolini and squash pieces, dividing evenly. Sprinkle each with 1/4 cup feta and 1/4 tsp hot pepper flakes, if desired. Bake until warmed through, 4 to 5 min.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 17 g,
- 85 g,
- 14 g,
- 11 g,
- 1028 mg.