This article has not been rated yet.
This alternative to meat offers a fibre-packed option that kids love.
- 1/2 cup uncooked rotini or other spiral pasta
- 1 small onions , finely chopped, about 1 cup
- 540-mL can black beans , rinsed, drained and patted dry
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- finely grated lemon zest , from 1 lemon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 tbsp safflower oil
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water until very soft, 15 min. While pasta is cooking, place onion, half of beans, ketchup, parsley, zest and salt in a large bowl. Set aside. Drain cooked pasta and rinse under cold running water. Dry pasta with paper towels, soaking up as much water as possible.
- Place pasta, remaining beans and garlic in a food processor. Whirl until smooth. Stir into onion mixture. Shape into 6 1-inch-thick patties.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium. Add 1 tbsp oil, then 3 patties. Cook for 3 min, then flip patties and cook until firm, about 3 more min. Repeat with remaining oil and patties.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 6 g,
- 21 g,
- 5 g,
- 6 g,
- 446 mg.