Originally published in the Today’s Parent January/February 2019 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
Black bean and veggie enchiladasBy Chatelaine
4 to 6
De-stress your weeknights by stocking the freezer with this easy make-ahead Mexican favourite, which can be reheated in a pinch.
- 540-mL can no-salt added black beans , drained and rinsed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese , divided
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 red bell pepper , diced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 10 small whole-wheat tortillas
- 283g can red enchilada sauce
- sour cream
- sliced pickled jalapeno peppers
- 2 green onions , sliced
- Line a 9 x 13-in. baking dish with 2 sheets of heavy-duty foil, leaving overhang on all sides. Spray bottom, sides and overhang with cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine beans, 1 cup of the cheese, corn, pepper, chili powder, coriander, cumin, garlic powder and salt.
- Lay tortillas out on work surface, then divide filling equally among tortillas, placing a line down the centre of each one. Roll each tortilla around the filling and place, seam-side down, in prepared pan.
- Wrap tightly with overhanging foil. Pack remaining 1 cup cheese in a resealable zip-top bag and place on top. Freeze until firm, at least 2 hours. Remove foil packet from pan, and wrap tightly with plastic wrap, including cheese. Label and date, then return packet to freezer for up
to 3 months.
- To bake from frozen: Position rack in bottom third of oven, then preheat to 375F. Remove plastic wrap and cheese. Place foil packet back in 9 x 13-in. pan. Bake for 45 min, then unwrap so top is uncovered. Top with enchilada sauce and cheese. Continue baking until cheese is bubbly and golden at edges and insides are hot, 10 to 15 min. Top with sour cream, jalapeños and green onions, and serve with a green salad.
Not sure where to find enchilada sauce? Check out the Mexican food aisle at your local grocery store, or sub in taco sauce.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 24 g,
- 56 g,
- 21 g,
- 9 g,
- 1198 mg.