Originally published in the Today’s Parent May/June 2020 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
Baked sweet potato with roasted chickpeasBy Chatelaine
Give your spuds some love with this baked sweet potato recipe featuring roasted chickpeas, sour cream, crispy onions and chives.
- 540-mL can chickpeas , drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt , divided
- 4 medium sweet potatoes , (about 250 g each)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 6 tbsp chopped chives
- 1/4 cup store-bought crispy onions
- Position rack in centre of oven, then preheat to 400F. Pat chickpeas dry with paper towels. Toss chickpeas with oil, paprika and 1/4 tsp salt on a rimmed baking sheet. Spread out in an even layer. Roast, gently shaking and rotating sheet halfway through, until golden, about 20 min.
- Meanwhile, wash and scrub sweet potatoes well. Prick each unpeeled sweet potato several times with a fork. Microwave on high heat until tender, turning halfway through, 8 to 10 min. Transfer sweet potatoes to a platter. Let sit until they are cool enough to handle.
- Stir sour cream with chives and remaining 1/4 tsp salt in a small bowl. To serve, cut an X along the top of each potato. Push from both ends until the flesh pops out slightly. Fluff the flesh with a fork. Scoop 1/4 cup sour cream mixture onto each potato. Top with roasted chickpeas and sprinkle with crispy onions. If desired, garnish with additional paprika and more chives
and serve with a green salad.
If your sweet potatoes are larger than 250 g, you may need to increase microwave cooking time by 2 to 4 more min.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 15 g,
- 77 g,
- 21 g,
- 14 g,
- 641 mg.