Originally published in the Today’s Parent Summer 2021 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
Air fryer oatmeal-stuffed applesBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
These air-fryer apples will remind you of an old fashioned pie—and are ready in no time.
- 1/3 cup large-flake oats
- 3 tbsp milk , or 10% cream
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp melted butter , divided
- 3/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 dates , finely chopped or 2 tbsp chopped dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp chopped pecans , optional
- 3 honeycrisp apples , about 240g each, halved crosswise
- whipped cream , optional
- honey , optional
- Line the bottom and sides of air-fryer basket with foil. Preheat air fryer to 350F.
- Combine oats with milk, maple syrup, 2 tbsp butter, pumpkin pie spice, dates, and pecans (if using) in a medium bowl. Let stand until liquid is absorbed, 10 to 15 min.
- Meanwhile, using a melon baller, scoop out and discard cores from apple halves. Scoop out more apple flesh, leaving a ½-in. border with the peel. (Apples should look like small bowls.) Finely chop the apple flesh and stir into oat mixture.
- Fill each apple bowl with oat mixture. Arrange in air-fryer basket. Brush tops with remaining 1 tbsp butter.
- Air-fry until apples are fork-tender, 18 to 20 min. Serve warm, or transfer to a rack to cool completely before refrigerating in a sealed container for up to 5 days. Dollop with whipped cream and drizzle with honey before serving, if desired.
This recipe was developed using the Ninja Foodi 8-qt. 2-Basket Air Fryer. Results using different models may vary.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 2 g,
- 48 g,
- 10 g,
- 6 g,
- 10 mg.