Originally published in the Today’s Parent Summer 2021 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
Air fryer falafel pitasBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
These delicious falafel and pickled vegetable sandwiches make for a refreshing lunch or dinner.
- 8 6-inch pitas , cut in half crosswise
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 plum tomatoes , cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 cup tzatziki
- baby sprouts , (optional)
- 1 540-mL can chickpeas
- 1/3 cup finely chopped parsley , leaves only
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp za'atar spice blend
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 English cucumber , cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 large shallot , thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
- Reserve 4 tbsp aquafaba (liquid) from the canned chickpeas in a small bowl. Drain remaining.
- Mash chickpeas with a potato masher in a large bowl until crumbly. Stir in parsley, flour, za’atar, garlic powder, baking powder and salt until combined. If mixture seems dry, stir in aquafaba, 1 tbsp at a time, until mixture binds together.
- Scoop a heaping tbsp of mixture and shape into a ½-in.-thick patty. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining mixture. (You should have about 16 falafels.) Brush oil over both sides of falafels.
- Preheat air fryer to 390F. Arrange falafels in a single layer in air-fryer basket. (You may need to do this in multiple batches, depending on the size of your air fryer.) Air-fry until lightly golden brown, 8 to 10 min.
- Meanwhile, combine cucumber, shallot and seasoned rice vinegar in a large non-stick frying pan set over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, then transfer to a medium bowl. Cool slightly.
- Stuff pitas with lettuce, tomato, tzatziki sauce, sprouts (if using), falafels and pickled vegetables.
Aquafaba, the viscous liquid that comes in canned chickpeas, can be used as an egg white substitute in vegan cuisine.
This recipe was developed using the Ninja Foodi 8-qt. 2-Basket Air Fryer. Results using different models may vary.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 20 g,
- 95 g,
- 15 g,
- 9 g,
- 1340 mg.