This article has not been rated yet.
This update of the classic dessert takes practically no prep, and pleases picky palates too.
- store-bought angel food cake
- store-bought pound cake
- banana bread
- whipped cream , with vanilla
- chocolate pudding , or vanilla pudding
- canned custard
- vanilla yogurt
- washed fresh berries
- diced pineapple
- mandarin orange , segments
- diced mango
- Very Strawberry Sauce
- store-bought chocolate sauce , or butterscotch sauce
- chopped chocolate-toffee bars
- toasted coconut , or granola
Very Strawberry Sauce:
- 2 cups frozen unsweetened strawberries , thawed (about half a 600 g package)
- 3 tbsp liquid honey , or icing sugar
- 1 tbsp orange juice , or lemon juice
- Choose as many items as you like from each category: cake or cookies, fillings, fruit, sauces and toppings
- A make-your-own trifle bar is the perfect place to use Grandma’s glass bowls or wine glasses for adults; little kids love acrylic martini glasses or clear plastic cups. Lay them out with plenty of spoons.
- Cut the cake into cubes, crumble cookies and place them, along with the other ingredients you’ve chosen, into individual bowls. Cover cake cubes with plastic wrap and refrigerate fruits and fillings until serving time. Guests can make their own custom-tailored trifles by layering cake, creamy filling, fruit, sauce and toppings. Sit back and enjoy!
- Very Strawberry Sauce: 2 cups frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed (about half a 600 g package); 3 tbsp (45 mL) liquid honey or icing sugar; 1 tbsp (15 mL) orange or lemon juice. Directions: Place strawberries, honey and juice in the bowl of a blender or food processor, cover and purée. Taste and stir in more honey or juice if needed. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Makes 1 1/4 cups (300 mL).