Vegan Strawberry Ice CreamBy Today's Parent
This velvety pink ice cream is brought to you by sun on my shoulders and summertime happiness.
- 1 lb strawberries , halved
- 3/4 cup organic sugar
- 3/4 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 14 oz can full-fat coconut milk , refrigerated overnight
- 1 cup raw cashews , soaked overnight and rinsed
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In a large bowl, using a potato masher or a fork, coarsely mash together strawberries, sugar, lemon juice and sea salt. Let stand for 15 minutes, stirring and mashing occasionally.
- Carefully open coconut milk. Place coconut milk solids in a blender. (Reserve or discard the remaining liquid. You do not want any of this liquid in your ice cream.) Add cashews, almond milk and vanilla; blend on High until thick and creamy. Set aside.
- Transfer half the strawberry mixture to the blender. Blend on High until smooth. Pour strawberry cream purée into bowl with the remaining strawberries; stir until well combined.
- Pour mixture into an ice-cream maker. Churn until mixture has thickened to a consistency similar to soft-serve. In most ice-cream makers, this takes about 25 minutes — check the instructions for your machine.
- Serve immediately or prepare to freeze. Transfer to a freezer container and press a piece of wax paper against the surface of the ice cream, which will prevent ice crystals from forming. Freeze for at least 4 hours, until solid.
Use high-quality full-fat coconut milk, not low-fat. It’s the key to luscious, creamy ice cream.
The ice cream will keep in the freezer for about 2 weeks before becoming icy.