Photo by Roberto Caruso.
Coconut Chickpeas and CauliflowerBy Eshun Mott
This article has not been rated yet.
This addictive combination of flavours comes together to make a vegan main dish or a hearty side—and it’s all made in a single pot!
- ¼ cup olive oil , divided
- 4 cups small cauliflower florets , (about ½ head)
- 1 onion , chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped ginger
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 (400 mL) can coconut milk
- 1 (796 mL) can chickpeas , drained and rinsed well
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup toasted coconut flakes
- Naan , if desired
- Heat 3 tbsp of the olive oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Add cauliflower, turn heat to medium-high and sauté for 4 min or until browned and tender. Scrape into a bowl; set aside.
- Add onion and remaining 1 tbsp oil to pan; sauté for 2 min or until onion is lightly browned and softened. Add ginger, garlic, cumin and chili flakes; sauté for 1 min or until fragrant. Add coconut milk; bring mixture to a boil. Simmer for 2 min. Add chickpeas; simmer for 3 min longer or until flavours are combined. Season with salt. Add spinach; stir until just wilted. Stir in reserved cauliflower. Serve sprinkled with chopped cilantro and toasted coconut, with a side of naan, if desired.