Originally published in the May + June 2018 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
Chickpea Mac and "Cheese"By Chatelaine
A creamy, vegan mac and cheese is so easy to make. This one uses chickpeas and butternut squash to create the perfect orange sauce.
- 450 g macaroni
- ¼ cup olive oil , divided
- 1 onion , chopped
- 1 carrot , chopped
- 1 ¼ cups no-salt-added chickpeas , drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen diced butternut squash
- 1 ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta following package directions. Reserve 2 cups pasta water before draining. Return pasta to pot.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large frying pan over medium. Add onion and carrot, and cook until softened, 6 min. Add chickpeas, squash, salt and 1 cup pasta cooking water. Bring to a simmer and cook until carrots and squash are
tender, 4 min.
- Transfer vegetables to a blender and add lemon juice, remaining 2 tbsp oil and ½ cup pasta water. Purée until smooth. Add sauce to pasta, stirring to coat. Stir in up to ½ cup more pasta water until smooth and saucy.
Frozen diced butternut squash is a huge time saver and convenient to keep on hand, plus it’s a great way to sneak more veggies into dinner.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 11 g,
- 54 g,
- 8 g,
- 4 g,
- 623 mg.