Originally published in Today’s Parent magazine.
Turkey and Bean BurritoBy Eshun Mott
6 Adult Servings
Serve this easy turkey and bean burrito recipe with a simple salad for a perfect weeknight dinner everyone will love.
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 540-mL can sodium-free black beans
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup sodium-free chicken broth
- 6 large whole wheat tortillas
- 1 large ripe avocado , peeled, halved and thickly sliced (optional)
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan on medium. Add onion and sauté for 4 min or until lightly golden. Add garlic and chili powder and sauté 1 min. Turn heat to medium-high, add turkey and sauté for 4 min or until no longer pink. Add beans, oregano and chicken stock, turn heat to high and simmer for 5 min or until liquid has almost disappeared. Remove from heat.
- Lightly grease a 9 x 13 baking dish. Divide filling into 6 portions and use to fill 6 tortillas, adding a small pinch of cheese and a few slices of avocado (if using). Roll up, tucking in ends.
- Place in baking dish seam-side down. Spoon salsa evenly over top of burritos and sprinkle with remaining cheese (about 1/2 cup). Bake for 20 min or until cheese has melted. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 32 g,
- 52 g,
- 22 g,
- 10 g,
- 988 mg.