- Preparation time:
- 5 minutes
- Cooking time:
- 30 minutes
- 6 Adult Servings
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 540-ml can sodium-free black beans
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup sodium-free chicken stock
- 6 large whole wheat tortillas
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled, halved and thickly sliced (optional)
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan on medium. Add onion and sauté for 4 min or until lightly golden. Add garlic and chili powder and sauté 1 min. Turn heat to medium-high, add turkey and sauté for 4 min or until no longer pink. Add beans, oregano and chicken stock, turn heat to high and simmer for 5 min or until liquid has almost disappeared. Remove from heat.
- Lightly grease a 9 x 13 baking dish. Divide filling into 6 portions and use to fill 6 tortillas, adding a small pinch of cheese and a few slices of avocado (if using). Roll up, tucking in ends.
- Place in baking dish seam-side down. Spoon salsa evenly over top of burritos and sprinkle with remaining cheese (about 1/2 cup). Bake for 20 min or until cheese has melted. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve.
Originally published in Today’s Parent magazine.
Nutrition (per Serving)
- 32 g
- 52 g
- 22 g
- 10 g
- 7 mg
- 988 mg