Shrimp and Polenta
This quick and easy recipe for shrimp and polenta is a great weeknight dinner idea for when you (and the kids) are tired of rice and pasta.
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup instant polenta
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped bacon , (about 3 strips)
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 796-mL can whole tomatoes
- 1 lb frozen or fresh shrimp , peeled, de-veined, washed
- 1 small handful parsley , chopped
- Bring the water to a rolling boil and slowly pour in your polenta; add salt. Reduce heat to low and keep stirring for 3 to 5 min. Remove from heat and cover. (If you can’t find instant polenta, regular will do just fine, though it will add about 15 min to your cooking time.)
- In a large pot, warm up the olive oil on medium and add bacon. Cook for a few min until the bacon gets brown but not crispy. Add garlic and cook for 1 to 2 min more. Add the tomatoes and break them up with the back of a wooden spoon or a potato masher. Bring to a simmer; cook for 15 min or until sauce thickens.
- Now add your shrimp to the tomato sauce. Stir occasionally. They will cook quickly, in about 3 min, until completely pink. Remove from heat.
- Give your polenta another stir and add a splash of hot water to loosen it up if it has become too firm (it should have a creamy texture). Create a nest of polenta on a plate and then ladle your saucy shrimp on top. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 24 g,
- 37 g,
- 17 g,
- 4 g,
- 786 mg.