Originally published in the April 2013 issue. Photo by Maya Visnyei.
Mexican Steak TacosBy Eshun Mott
With all the fixings served up in small bowls, tacos give everyone the opportunity to make their own dinner just the way they like it.
- 1 flank steak , (about 1 3/4 lb)
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 lime
- 12 corn tortillas
- 3 cups thinly sliced cabbage
- 1 Granny Smith apple , cored and drated or julienned
- 1/2 cup grated or julienned radish
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- sour cream
- crumbled feta
- cilantro sprigs
- Pat steak dry with paper towels and place on a baking sheet.
- Combine chili powder, brown sugar, cumin, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper. Sprinkle all over steak, and rub slightly to coat well.
- Let stand at room temperature for 15 min or covered in the refrigerator overnight.
- Heat a large, lightly oiled grill pan over high. (If the pan is not large enough, cut the steak in half and cook in 2 batches.) Grill until deeply coloured, about 3 min per side, then reduce heat to medium and cook for 4 to 5 min longer (turning as needed), or until it reaches desired degree of doneness.
- Remove steak to a board; let rest for 5 min before slicing thinly against the grain.
- Transfer to a serving plate and squeeze lime overtop steak. Reserve.
- Combine slaw ingredients in a bowl; toss to coat.
- Working in batches, toast tortillas in a dry skillet over high heat for about 30 sec. per side or until softened and specked with brown. Keep warm in a clean kitchen towel.
- Serve steak with tortillas, slaw and toppings.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 46 g,
- 35 g,
- 19 g,
- 5 g,
- 561 mg.