Originally published in the Today’s Parent July/August 2019 issue. Photo by Carmen Cheung.
Freezable breakfast burritosBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
From the freezer to your plate, these make-ahead bean burritos are an eggcellent choice for hungry tummies on busy mornings!
- 540-mL can pinto beans , drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 250 g fresh chorizo sausages , casings removed
- 2 red bell peppers , cored and finely chopped
- 8 eggs , lightly beaten
- 2 green onions , finely chopped
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped cilantro
- 8 large flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- salsa , (optional)
- Mash beans with lime juice and cumin in a medium bowl.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high and cook sausages, using a fork to break up, until no pink remains, about 5 min. Add peppers for last 3 min of cooking and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Whisk eggs with green onions in a large bowl. Pour into pan with sausage and cook, continuously stirring with a spatula, until soft curds form, 12 to 15 min. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
- Arrange tortillas on a clean work surface. Spoon a portion of bean mixture onto the bottom third of each tortilla, then top with egg mixture and cheese. Add salsa, if desired. Fold ends over mixture and roll to enclose filling.
- Wipe pan clean and heat to medium-high. Place burritos, seam-side down, in pan and cook until golden and slightly crisp, 1 to 2 min per side.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 22 g,
- 40 g,
- 16 g,
- 4 g,
- 866 mg.
- Excellent source of
- vitamin A