This article has not been rated yet.
- 750 g lean ground beef
- 2 large onions , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , squished
- 1 796-mL can tomatoes
- 2 tsp Mexican chili powder
- 1/2 tsp curry powder , (don't worry - it adds flavour, not spiciness)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper , (or more, or less or none)
- 2 540-mL cans kidney beans , drained and rinsed
- cooked white rice , or brown rice
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the beef with the chopped onions and garlic, stirring to break up the clumps of meat, until the beef is no longer pink. (If you’re cooking extra meat, remove half of it now and refrigerate to use in the Shepherd’s Pie. Continue the chili recipe with the rest.)
- Add the canned tomatoes (with juice) and the chili powder, curry powder, salt and cayenne (if you’re using it). Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover and let simmer for about 30 minutes, breaking up the tomatoes with a wooden spoon. Add the beans and cook, stirring occasionally, for another 15 minutes.
- Serve with plain cooked rice (white or brown) and the usual assortment of toppings – shredded cheese, sour cream, chopped avocado, red onion, tomato.