By Eshun Mott
* PLUS Cooking time: 20 minutes
Recipe by Eshun Mott, photo by Maya Visnyea
Traditionally called pannekoeken, these crepe-like pancakes originated in Belgium and the Netherlands. Try them stuffed with caramelized apples, ham and cheese or jam!
- Put 1 cup all-purpose flour, 2 tsp sugar and 1/8 tsp salt into a mixing bowl and stir to combine. Crack 2 large eggs overtop and slowly add 2 cups milk,whisking constantly until combined. Stir in 1/2 tsp vanilla.
- Heat an 8-in. nonstick frying pan over medium. Add a small pat of butter and use a pastry brush to coat pan.
- Pour in about 1/4 cup of batter, lifting up and turning pan so the batter coats the surface in a thin, even layer.
- Cook for 1 to 2 min or until the edges of the pancake are golden. Use a rubber spatula to loosen the pancake, then turn over and cook 1 min longer or until bottom is also lightly browned. Serve immediately, or cook all the pancakes as above and layer on a plate with parchment paper between them. Re-warm in the microwave or in an oven on low before serving.
Any store-bought apricot jam for a delicious filling.
Originally published in the Today’s Parent December 2013 issue.