- Preparation time:
- 5 minutes
- Cooking time:
- 25 minutes
- 6 adult servings
- 1 1/2 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes cut into 3/4-in. cubes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 500 g pork sausages (preferably banger style)
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple cider
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- Place potatoes in a pot of salted water on high. Boil for 8 min or until tender. Drain and return pot to low heat for 1 min to evaporate water. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan on high. Add sausages and fry, turning often, for 5 min or until browned all over. Transfer to a plate.
- Add remaining 2 tbsp of oil and butter to pan. Add potatoes, season with salt and pepper, and sauté 5 min longer. Add Brussels sprouts and sauté 5 minutes or until all vegetables are tender. Transfer to a plate.
- Cut sausages into 1-in. lengths on the bias and fry cut-side down for 3 min or until ends are browned. Add cider and thyme to pan, bring to a boil and cook for 2 min or until cider coats sausages. Return potatoes and Brussels sprouts to pan and toss until heated through.
Sausages are typically very high in sodium. Check the nutritional analysis to choose a brand that is lower in salt.
Cutting Brussels sprouts in half allows you to cook them quickly, which makes them tender-crisp instead of mushy.
Originally published in the Today’s Parent March 2014 issue.
Nutrition (per Serving)
- 13 g
- 29 g
- 3 mg
- 1017 mg