Brown Rice PilafBy Eshun Mott
3 adult servings plus 1/4 cup baby food
Hearty and packed with whole grain goodness, try this easy-to-prepare side dish tonight.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup brown rice , rinsed and drained well
- 1 1/2 cups sodium-free chicken broth , or water, divided
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted almonds
- Heat olive oil in a small pot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 2 min or until softened. Add rice and sauté for 3 min or until it smells slightly nutty.
- Add 1 1/4 cup chicken stock and bring to a boil. Cover pot, turn heat to low and simmer gently for 40 min to until chicken stock has been absorbed and rice is tender.
- Remove from heat and let steam 5 min. Remove about 1/3 cup for baby, pureeing with about 1/4 cup remaining chicken stock or water as needed
- Sprinkle adult portion with salt and fold in almonds.