Originally published in the June 2014 issue. Photo by Maya Visnyei.
Broccoli and Bacon Fried RiceBy Eshun Mott
Three cheers for fried rice. It's quick, easy and delicious. With tender-crisp broccoli and salty bacon, all signs point to adding this into weekly rotation.
- 2 slices thick-cut bacon , (about 100 g), diced
- 1 tbsp canola oil , divided
- 3 cups small broccoli florets , stems peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tbsp chopped ginger
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 4 cups cooked long-grain white rice , chilled
- 1/2 cup diced water chestnuts
- 3 large eggs , beaten
- 1 cup peas , (fresh and frozen, defrosted)
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/4 cup roasted red-skinned peanuts
- Heat a wok or large frying pan on medium heat. Add bacon and sauté for 4 min or until crispy at the edges. Remove from pan to a paper towel- lined plate. Drain all but 1 tbsp fat from pan.
- Add 1 tbsp oil to pan, add broccoli, onion, ginger and garlic, and sauté for 3 min on medium-high or until softened. Add remaining 1 tbsp oil, rice, water chestnuts and reserved bacon, and fry for 3 min or until rice is heated through and beginning to brown.
- Push rice to the edge of the pan and pour eggs into the middle. Cook eggs, stirring to scramble, for 1 to 2 min or until cooked. Add peas, oyster sauce and peanuts and cook 1 min longer, stirring well to combine. Serve.
Using cold rice keeps the grains from clumping together. To make this dinner in a hurry, use leftover rice.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 18 g,
- 62 g,
- 22 g,
- 5 g,
- 629 mg.